Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Social Media


                
             

                In a certain way, social media is a gift in my life. I can keep up with family and friends who are often far away. As someone not from the DMV area, it has been enjoyable to see what my friends are up to. I see photos and think of memories of events from several years ago, which I may not see otherwise. I also can use social media to promote different organizations and events with which I am involved. It was a great asset when I was chairman of Relay For Life at Catholic University in 2013. Using social media, we were able to raise over $10,000 in one day and a total of $30,000 over several months. Without the tools such as Facebook and Twitter, this feat would not have been possible.
              On the flipside, I find myself happiest when I do not have access to these sites and I do not feel the need to share everything. The best example I can give is when I am in the woods, hiking or camping. When I camp or visit the camp I used to work at, being detached from the world allows me to do whatever I want without the worries of other people. If I want to go sailing or swimming then I do. It is just me and the water, and I cannot be happier. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! that's very impressive how you used social media to raise all that money. I agree on detaching oneself from this high tech social bubble and getting the chance to appreciate the beauty of nature and actually bonding with other people. That is why I love to do outdoor activities because it gives me the chance to find of what really makes me happy

    ReplyDelete